In his book written in 1926 Rufus Henry Main gives the following
account of their Honey Creek home:
"Our home was a two-story log house made of hewn logs, with a
lean-to kitchen on the west, set on stilts, and made of oak boards
set up and down like a barn, with wide cracks and was too open to
use in the winter for it was often full of snow. The roof was made
of clap-boards and the floor was hard planks. There was a window
in the south and one in the east and a door in the east. There was
a fireplace on the north in which we could build a fine roaring fire.
The upstairs had no ceiling but had a small window in the gable in
the south. There was a cellar outside, dug in the side of the hill."
In his book, Roscoe Conkling Main writes:
"After Melvin Philip Main
died in 1870, Rachel along with her children came back to live on
Alvin Main's Honey Creek farm in the house which Alvin's family had
vacated, a square log structure with attic and a frame addition, three
rooms in all."