Painting by E.L. Henry (1874) depicting the actual battle and the house that belonged to Benjamin Chew.
In his book, R. C. Main refers to this building as the Judge Chew Mansion.
This house which was occupied by the British during the battle of Germantown on October 4, 1777 was called Cliveden.
It is this battle where Philip Main lost his eye to a musket ball.
On October 4th of every year for the last 20 or so, this house, which is a museum today, is involved in a re-enactment of the battle of Germantown.
Return to Military Page